

My twin brother, Robert, and I were born 6 February 1934. I am the 5th child, and eldest son (by 5-minutes) , of John R. and Ethel M. Quarles.
I met Beverly Hulse in 1951; we were married in Raton, NM, 18 September 1955. From this marriage, we had four children: Randal Keith, 5 September 1957, San Francisco, CA; Leigh Anne, 6 April 1960, Greeley, CO; Stacy Lyn, 10 June 1969 and Robert William, 24 May 1971, both born in Ogden, UT.
After my discharge from the Navy in June 1958, we moved to Greeley where I enrolled at Colorado State College and worked as a Teller at The Greeley National Bank.
Our family experienced a great sorrow when Robert was struck by lightning and killed, 18 May 1959. He was living with us while attending College and working for a local farmer.
I graduated from Colorado State College, with a degree in Business Education, June 1961 along with my brother, Willie. We were the first in the family to graduate from College.
Following graduation, my family and I moved to Vallejo, CA and I worked for a brief time as a Management Intern at the Federal Reserve Bank in San Francisco, but the call to return to Colorado was strong and we moved to Denver, August 1961, and for the next two years I worked for a Stock Broker.
I had an opportunity to return to Las Animas in August 1963 when I was offered a job as the Distributive Education Teacher at Bent County High School (BCHS), the name had not yet changed.
Again, in the summer of 1964, another opportunity came my way when I was offered a job at Hill Air Force Base, UT, in their Management Intern Program. BCHS had elected not to renew my teaching contract. When one door closes another opens??.
Our young family moved to Roy, UT, September 1964 and I began my career at HAFB, starting as a Contract Negotiator in Procurement and retiring in June 1987 as the Deputy Chief of the Small Business Office. During this time, I did leave HAFB and worked at Thiokol (the Space Shuttle Booster Manufacturer) as a Contract Administrator, from January 1970 to January 1974.
After retirement from HAFB, I again went to work at Thiokol, now known as ATK, in November 1988, as their Small Business Administrator. I retired from ATK, June 1999.
I have been working at Triple Stop/Storage Star, a locally owned Convenience Store, Used Car Dealership and Storage Rental Business since November 2000 as their "Jack of All Trades". It was to be a part time job which quickly became a full time job....
In my younger years, I enjoyed playing baseball, softball, basketball and bowling; now I enjoy watching baseball, softball, basketball and bowling, on TV or at the games!! I also enjoy an ocassional game of horseshoes, almost specifically limited to Family Reunions. It is always fun to be with the children and grandchildren.
Beverly worked for the Government, starting as a Food Service Worker at the VA Hospital in Fort Lyon the year we lived in Las Animas; after moving to Utah she worked at HAFB, IRS, Defense Depot Ogden and back to HAFB where she retired from the Foreign Military Sales area in March 1993 as the Assistant Program Manager for the Countries of Korea and Spain (F-4 Program). In February 1996 she started working at Intermountain Health Care (IHC) as a Receptionist, later becoming a Scheduling Coordinator; she retired in August 2006 but stayed on call; her job really did remain "a part time job"....
Beverly enjoys spending time with her children and grandchildren, gardening, walking, reading, traveling and watching her beloved "Yankees".
Along with our four children we have eleven grandchildren and will let our kids tell about their lives and their children.
There was a wedding, 18 June 1925. And now, 83 years later, this wonderful family just keeps on growing.
Soon it will be the reunion; we look forward to seeing you and express our thanks and appreciation to all who make these wonderful events possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment